Vaping - Tobacco Harm Reduction
Vaping is the use of an electronic cigarette, vaporiser or vape. They are battery-powered devices that heat a flavoured liquid, with or without nicotine, into an aerosol for inhalation. It is classified as Tobacco Harm Reduction and therefore intended for adults only.
Millions of smokers who have been unable to quit using more traditional methods, and those previously not willing to do, have discovered vaping to be both effective and satisfying.
Why vaping is a successful cessation method
- It offers the means to inhale nicotine, and or flavours, in the same manner as smoking.
- Offers a similar throat hit, based on nicotine and or flavour strength and type.
- Offers the same hand-to-mouth action as with smoking
- Provides the same social experience.
- The knowledge that it’s a far healthier option
- More cost effective
New Zealand introduces more pragmatic regulations for vaping. Australia still lags behind.
The RCGP official position statement on e-cigarettes. Their views regarding cessation, health and second-hand aerosol, or vapour.